To make a diaper cake centerpiece your going to need the following materials.
- 2 packages of size 2 diapers.
- Tiny rubber bands, the ones you find with hair supplies.
- a few baby items such as small stuffed animal, passy, rattle and anyting else you want to put in there.
- You will need some type of wide ribbon-Dollar stores carry it if you catch it when it comes in. You will probably need about 4 rolls.
- Shrink wrap bag, can be found at the dollar stores as well.
- Cardboard bottom to be cut into a circle.
- 3 packs gift bag filler.
- Fabric if you want to cover cake layers. A yard for each layer should be good.
- Curly ribbon.
Now you are ready to make your first baby cake follow the steps and you will be an expert in no time.
- Diapers-each diaper needs to be rolled back to front then secure with rubber band. Continue until you have them all rolled. DO NOT USE TAPE. It damages the diapers and they will be no good.
- The bottom layer is the largest layer. Either get someone to help you hold them in place or use something that is round and shallow. I used a fry pan.
- After you get them in pan take a piece of curly ribbon to hold diapers in place. Make it very tight by wrapping it on the outside of the diapers in the pan.
- Do step 3 again with the next three layers, each getting smaller with each layer. I found pans I could use for the other layers.
- You can use fabric to cover each layer if you want using large stick pins on the bottom of the layers so that you don’t have to use tape.
- Take all the little items you want to put into the cake and tape or pin them in place.
- Take your wide ribbon and put it around each layer.
- Cover the round cardboard piece in one of the color fabric you choose.
- You can put some gift bag filler between each layer or just leave it off. Either way is fine.
- Place cake into shrink wrap bag and tie it at the top with some curly ribbon.
- Make a big bow and tie it to the top of the cake. After you get it tied you can tie some curly ribbon with the big ribbon.
- Get hairdryer and using the hot/high setting and blow air on shrink wrap bag is tight around the cake.
Now you have made your very own diaper cake. If you don’t have the time to make your own I’m always taking orders.